Thursday, February 6, 2014

My beginning



The first pair of pants I made!

2013 was a year full of changes and new beginnings. I was blessed with my 3rd baby boy in May. He came unexpectedly 3 weeks before he was due, to my surprise. I was in labor at work all day and in total denial, after all he wasn't supposed to come until June! We had a beautiful home birth and it was more than I could have imagined; so much better than the 2 previous inductions I had in the hospital. I planned to quit my job as a nurse for about a year to be home with my kids. With him being my last it was a bittersweet time and I wanted to soak up every moment with my babies while they were still little. I made the decision to cloth diaper, mainly to help save money while I was home from work. At first the cloth didn't work, I had a tiny little 5lb 8oz baby boy and he was swimming in the newborn covers I had. Once he grew enough for the diapers to fit, his clothes didn't. He quickly "outgrew" clothes because of his fluffy bottom and I found myself going through his dresser frequently to put away another stack of clothes that just weren't roomy enough in the tush. About 4 months after my baby boy was born I was again going through his clothes I thought to myself, "I know so many mama's that cloth diaper, why in the world are there not pants that fit over cloth?!". It then struck me I should make some! Now, I have sewn in the past but nothing too hard. I made scrubs when I graduated from nursing school, crib bedding (with my mom's help) before the birth of my first baby, and a few projects in between but that was about it. I got out a few pairs of pants that were different styles, did some reading online and starting cutting. I made a pattern with some freezer paper and then sewed my first pair of pants out of an old t-shirt. I was so excited! They fit great over his huge cloth diaper AND his legs! It's OK if you are looking at them thinking, "those are really terrible looking pants!", I thought the same thing! I was seeing if my design was even going to work, I wasn't going for pretty here guys!


the first REAL pair of pants I made!!

 After what I called success, I went on and finalized the pattern and then started sizing them. That was a loooong process! You can't just add an inch to the waist and the bottom of the legs and think the pants will look right, trust me!! Thankfully I had several mama's who were more than willing to let me use their little ones as models to help me get the fit right. It took a few tries but I finally had my finalized patterns for all the sizes. As I continued to create, my ideas grew. From the beginning I knew I wanted each pair of pants to have a design on the tush. I had no idea how to sew them on but I was determined to figure it out. I read up on the subject and found you could use a regular sewing machine to sew a satin stitch. I was in business! I got to work right away with my trusty machine and sewed an owl on my first pair of pants. I have to say I was pretty surprised that it looked so good for my first try. But, I also knew if I was really going to do this as a business there was no way I could make each pair of pants that way, it was too time consuming.

my first design
 
With the help of my awesome step-mom another idea was born! I was going to get an embroidery machine and appliqué my designs on the clothes!
It's been a fast journey, and one I never imagined I would be on. I definitely had to adjust to being a stay-at-home mom who owns a business making clothes, but I wouldn't change a thing. I love being home with my kids and I truly enjoy being able to create adorable clothes that other people really like. Thank you to all my family and friends who have supported me and helped me along the way! You have made this possible for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment