Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tips and Tricks Tuesday

When I dove head first into this journey of owning my own business I had no experience with an embroidery machine. In fact I didn't even think of the machine as an option until it was suggested to me (several times lol). I realized it was the only way I would be able to really make the adorable designs on the clothes I wanted to make. When I purchased the machine I read the manual front to back and was still very confused. It told me how to operate the machine but there was no information about how to actually applique designs on clothes. The websites I purchased my designs from were also lacking in dummy-proof videos that told me what to do. There was a lot, and I really mean A LOT of trial and error going on over here. I thought I would put together a weekly post of ways you can avoid all the mistakes that I made and hopefully you won't waste as many materials and as much time as I did!
I will also get into ways to keep track of inventory and other things that are part of the no-so-fun book keeping aspect of owning your own business. Thankfully I started my business in September and really got things going in October of 2013. When tax time came around I only had a couple months worth of information to gather and sort through rather than an entire year. I kept every receipt and tracked every sale I made but that didn't even touch what I needed to be doing. Thank goodness for the Excel class I took in college! It saved me from having to purchase expensive accounting software and made the little bit of OCD in me happy. Now I just have to remember to continue to fill in my spread sheets as I make sales and use materials. This is something I personally need a set day each week to do otherwise it will get forgotten and I will be scrambling to figure it all out again.
So come back next week and I will share with you some tricks and tips I have learned that will make things run smoother and produce high-quality work your customers will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment